Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Constantine Giannaris

Recommendation of Christian Jakobsen
After 15 months work on my script “Welcome Aboard” I was tired and had come to an impasse. I found it impossible to create an emotional connection with two of my main characters. External readers were very praiseful of the idea, the story line and the dramatic thrust of the story but missed precisely this emotional bond. Along with this praise of course came much rather ill suited and ill conceived ‘advice’ as to what I should ‘change’, ‘get rid of’, ‘restructure’, ‘rewrite’ and ‘reconfigure’. Meeting Christian and working with him over the summer was really a breakthrough. For the first time someone was able to make me to see the emotional logic of what I was writing. Much like a psychoanalyst is able to guide their patient towards a self-awareness. Working with Christian was for me a form of analysis. At times paralyzing, scary and very demanding. He is erudite direct and grounded in cinema and drama of which he has an intense love. I believe the discussions with him were crucial in unblocking me, making the writing a joy again and in taking the script forward.
Constantine Giannaris

No comments: